Wednesday, January 09, 2008
A new home for our walking stick insects
Advantages of Walking Stick Pets:
• They don't smell, which means that you can keep them anywhere in the house without worrying about "stinking-up-the-place" (eg. a child's bedroom).
• They eat lettuce, which means that you don't have to grow exotic plants just to feed the insects.
• They can't "infest" your house so you don't have to worry about any "escapees".
• They teach children to care for life so they can be an ideal first pet for youngsters.
• They have a life span of about one school year, which makes them ideal for a year-long school class project.
• They have no wings so they can't fly and escape.
• They walk relatively slowly and carefully, so they dont't scurry like roaches which tend to give "insecta-phobes" the "willies".
• They can be handled easily by children without fear of being bitten or squishing them.
• They don't need daily care. They can be left for several days (up to a week) without care (they don't need a baby-sitter for a weekend trip).
• They can be used to teach children (and adults) the value of life.